CLIMBING ACTIVITY OF THE MONTH: HULA HOOP HAVEN
A great cooperative climbing challenge that requires climbers to communicate and work together.
Materials needed: Hula Hoops
Advance Prep: None
Grade Level: 3 and up
Climbers make their way across the climbing wall with arms linked by a hula hoop. This requires climbers to adjust their speed and communicate so that they remain linked by the Hula Hoop for their entire climb. If they become separated, they should stop and climb down from the wall and start over. After partners have had success with this activity, try it again with three climbers and two Hula Hoops. If that goes well, try with four climbers and three Hula Hoops.
- Challenge climbers to complete the activity without speaking.
- Time the activity and work towards faster times, while still making safety a priority.
Teaching Tip: For safety reasons, do not have more than four climbers attempt this challenge.
National Standards: 1,2,3,4 & 5
- Nonlocomotor (S1.E7, S1.E8, S1.E10)
- Manipulative (S1.E13,S1.E26)
- Movement concepts (S2.E1, S2.E2)
- Engages in physical activity (S3.E2, S3.M3, S3.M4, S3.M5)
- Personal responsibility (S4.E1, S4.E2, S4.M1, S4.M2)
- Working with others (S4.E4, S4.M4, S4.M5)
- Rules & etiquette (S4.E5, S4.M5,S4.M6)
- Safety (S4.E6, S4.M7)
- Challenge (S5.E2, S5.M3)