CLIMBING ACTIVITY OF THE MONTH: CLIMBING WALL TWISTER®
This classic children's game has been transformed into a fun partner activity on the climbing wall that requires great listening and problem solving skills.
Grade Level: 2 and up
Materials: Twister Spinner, one per partnership
Advance Prep: Make spinners
Each partnership will use one 4-foot-wide panel and mat section. If you have a 40-foot-long climbing wall, then 20 participants can play at one time, with partnerships spread out along the length of the wall. One person from each partnership will be on the climbing wall, using only one panel. The other will be spinning the spinner (on the mat) and letting the climber know what move to make. If the climber’s foot/hand is already on the color indicated by the spinner, s/he must find a new hold of that color. After 10 successful moves, partners switch roles.
Note: Unlike the original game, participants do not come in contact with one another.Variations:
- Number each climbing wall panel and have participants try new panels. Each panel offers a unique experience because hand holds are different and in different locations on each panel. Try them all!
- Instead of partners, this activity could be conducted with one person spinning for all climbers on the wall. Still keep climbers on one panel and then rotate them through other panels after 10 successful moves.
National Standards: 1,2,3,4 & 5
- Nonlocomotor (S1.E7, S1.E8, S1.E10)
- Movement concepts (S2.E1, S2.E2)
- Engages in physical activity (S3.E2, S3.M3, S3.M4, S3.M5)
- Personal responsibility (S4.E1, S4.E2, S4.M1, S4.M2)
- Working with others (S4.E4, S4.M4, S4.M5)
- Rules & etiquette (S4.E5, S4.M5, S4.M6)
- Safety (S4.E6, S4.M7)
- Challenge (S5.E2, S5.M3)