This activity helps to develop climbing skills because it requires climbers to focus on silent and controlled footwork.
Grade Level: K and up
Grouping: Small group, ideally one climber per climbing wall panel
- Station Task Card
- Jingle bell ankle bands, one for each foot of each climber
Advance Set Up: Assemble or locate jingle bell ankle bands. Download, print and place task card near climbing wall.
Have participants attach jingle bells to their ankles. Challenge them to climb making the least amount of noise possible. The goal is to climb in a smooth and controlled manner.
Variation: Try the activity with bells on wrists (Silent Hands).
Teaching Tip: This activity forces climbers to think about controlled and careful foot placement. Encourage them to use the inside part of the foot under the big toe which offers the most stability.
National Standard(s): 1,2,3,4 & 5
- Nonlocomotor (S1.E7, S1.E8, S1.E10)
- Movement concepts (S2.E1, S2.E2)
- Engages in physical activity (S3.E2, S3.M3, S3.M4, S3.M5)
- Personal responsibility (S4.E1, S4.E2, S4.M1, S4.M2)
- Rules & etiquette (S4.E5, S4.M5,S4.M6)
- Safety (S4.E6, S4.M7)
- Challenge (S5.E2, S5.M3)